Kids From the Inside Out
This workshop will be only be offered one time each year. If you are interested in hosting, please contact us for details.
A learning opportunity for professionals working with abuse/neglect, trauma and attachment disorders
Treating children, who have experienced sexual abuse, physical abuse, neglect, family violence and/or have emotional, social, behavioral or developmental disorders, can be a long journey. To be allowed inside a child’s reality is a privilege that deserves the highest regard and respect. It is the only place where you will discover how they perceive and how they survive. Inside a child is where trust and understanding are shared-it is the heart of the matter-where redevelopment and recovery can take place. From the Inside Out was developed to enhance redevelopment and recovery through the honest and untainted reflections from the horses. Because horses are animals of prey, who have developed acute skills to thrive in a vulnerable world, they are the perfect teachers and partners for child victims who parallel their vulnerability. From the Inside Out is a process based program. While the program strives to change behavior and add character and life skills, it is not behaviorally, skill or technique based. We seek to understand how each child has developed, how developmental process has been affected by maltreatment and disorders and how development can best be re-experienced to enable positive mastery at each stage. As a mental health specialist, you will learn how to combine Erikson’s Theory and the Search Institutes 40 Developmental Assets to create treatment plans that leverage the power of the equine experience. As an Equine Specialist, you will learn how to create both passive and active equine activities that can provide the opportunities for the therapeutic process to unfold.
This two-day workshop will cover the following:
- Identifying roles and cross training between the Mental health professional and the equine specialist.
- Identifying/assessing client’s needs…where to start in the arena.
- Defining the boundaries of learning and therapy models and how they can work together.
- Establishing client criteria and the dynamics of adolescent and adult groups
- Creating appropriate equine activities
- Natural Horsemanship and the Mental health process for the horses
- Facilitation skills for the learning model and therapeutic approaches
- Sample case studies
- Evaluations and rubrics
- Operational structure, Insurance, record keeping, contract between Mental Health Professional & Equine Specialist
Finding funding thru insurance, grants and fundraising events
Cost: $375 Lunch and course materials are included in the registration price.